Beans and rice were a staple item growing up when dad cooked for us on the weekends. He would add sausage or hamburger meat. He would turn the beans and rice into taco means with taco seasoning. Sometimes he would add so much pepper or spices they were too hot to eat.
My beans and rice I cook them in the crock pot or on the stove on low heat (simmer). I put them on at 10 a.m. and they are done by 5pm or 6pm, depending on when we want to eat. I serve with rice and cornbread.
- 1 1/2 pounds of dry pinto beans
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 package of season blend frozen vegetables (onion, bell pepper, celery)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 5 tablespoons of Fiesta brand pinto bean seasoning
- 2 packages of chapel hill sausage
- Rice per your choice cooked for serving with beans. I use boil a bag success rice -2 bags.
- Rinse beans in colander and pick out the rotten beans and rocks
- Add to the crock pot.
- Add in all seasonings and vegetables
- Add enough water to cover beans by 1 inch or filling your crock pot to 1 inch from the top.
- Cover and cook for 6 hours
- Cut up sausage and add to beans. Make sure you don’t need to add any more water at this time. (You shouldn’t have to).
- Cover and cook for 1-2 hours.
- Cook rice per package
- Serve beans and sausage over rice