Oh pasta! I love the large plates of that famous Italian resturant with the never ending breadsticks. Insert heart. Yes, I still love pasta and have this on Leg Day workouts with the FASTer Way plan I follow. We carb cycle and have that got to have it type food (pasta, doughnuts, cake, alcohol) on Saturday’s leg day. But on some days we eat low carb and spaghetti squash is my go to pasta like noodle.
Calories 48 Fat 0.9g Carbs 10.7g Protein 1.0g Fiber 2.3g 1 cup of squash only
Spaghetti squash has many anti-oxidants, like Vitamin A and C. Vitamin A helps with your skin and mucus membranes, as well as eyesight. The high B-complex vitamins folate, B6 and niacin are also found in this squash. Plus it is full of minerals like zinc, copper, calcium- 35.6% of your daily reccommend value and potassium. Spaghetti squash also is a great dietary fiber source.
The hardest part of preparing spaghetti squash is cutting it open. Be very careful and use a sharp knife. I have read that you can poke holes in the skin and microwave for 4 minutes to soften the outer layer. I haven’t tried this, but I sure do need to. Begin by washing the squash off. Cut length wise, just like you would cut a watermelon in half.
Once you have it cut open pull all the seeds out of the middle. Brush with olive oil and season to staste. Place in a shallow baking dish with the bottom of the dish covered in water. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.
Carefully remove from the oven and drain the water. Pick up (remeber it’s hot) with tongs or strong fork or even a pot holder and place right side up on plate. Then cut across the squash with a knife if you want to cut into bite size peices. Then take your fork and pull edges to the middle. You can servve out your 1 cup onto your plate or eat from the Spaghetti Bowl.
- 2 pounds of Ground meat of choice (hamburger, turkey, chicken)
- Spaghetti sauce of choice (we love Prego sugar free)
- 1-2 Spaghetti squash (depending on how many people are eating this and not real pasta
- salt pepper
- olive oil to brush squash before cooking
- Pre Heat oven to 425 degress
- Wash and cut open squash -length wise
- Pull out seeds
- Brush with olive oil and salt and pepper
- Place flesh side down in a shallow baking dish. Fill with water to cover bottom of dish
- Place in oven and cook for 25 minutes.
- Brown the ground meat till done and drain grease Put meat back into the pot skillet you cooked it in
- Pour in the spaghetti sauce to meat and heat till bubbly
- When your squash is done remove from oven
- Carefully drain water off of plate
- Flip gently onto skin side and cut with knife or fork to break apart flesh of squash
- Serve up your cup of squash onto your plate and cover with your meat sauce. Add in a side salad or green beans.
Follow My Journey!
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.