This recipe I am sure everyone has tried. This is not a my family only recipe, but it was Aunt Melinda’s job to bring the stuff to make it during the holidays. This or the stuff for a green bean casserole. These two casseroles are a must during the holidays, per our kids. Our kids are now 20+ and they still request the”traditional” menu during the holidays.
- 3-4 steamer bags of broccoli (or 1 large bag of broccoli)
- 2 cups of rice cooked (I use Success boil a bag of rice)
- 1 jar of cheese whiz (I use 1/2 a stick of velvetta and melt down with enough milk (about 1 cup) into a sauce thin enough to drip easliy off the spoon)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare rice and broccoli per package directions
- Heat cheese whiz in microwave per bottle
- If using velvetta- cube up and place in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add milk to cheese and microwave for 1 minute
- Stir cheese and cook for another 30 secs with stirring after each 30 seconds to determine when the sauce is melted or thin enough to pour.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Drain broccoli and dump into baking dish
- Add 2 cups of cooked rice
- Pour cheese sauce over rice and broccoli
- Add salt and pepper. (I add in marjoram 1 tsp)
- Stir and mix well
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.